Tribute for Jerromy Brookes after suspected fatal eastern brown snake bite

The Queensland father who died of a suspected eastern brown snake bite while removing it from a child care centre has been remembered as a “brave man”, who saved others from the deadly animal.

Jerromy Brookes died on Tuesday afternoon after being bitten multiple times on the hand and arm.

The Courier-Mail reported Mr Brookes had been asked by a relative to remove the snake from the child care centre, however it’s understood he was not a qualified as a snake handler.

On social media, a fellow Queensland man called on the community to contribute to a $1000 fund to help Mr Brooke’s grieving family.

“Hey all, let’s honour Jerromy Brooke’s who tragically died Tuesday from a snake bite at a child care centre in Deeragun, Townsville,” he shared.

“Realistically the brave man possibly saved children’s lives by removing this eastern brown.

“This man is our hero. Let’s help the family who have just lost their hero. You can’t put a price tag on life but let’s bind together as one. 1000 from us, let’s rally”.

Mr Brookes died after going into cardiac arrest, despite the best attempts of his wife, who performed CPR, and paramedics.

Queensland Ambulance Service acting district director Paula Marten said Mr Brookes drove to his Deeragun home but he soon went into cardiac arrest.

“(He) was found to be in cardiac arrest by our crews,” Ms Marten said.

“The call was made by the patient’s wife, who then commenced CPR as the patient went into cardiac arrest.

“The information provided to us was that the gentleman had been bitten in a different location and attended back to his residence, where his wife has immobilised his arm and wrapped it, when the onset of the symptoms occurred.”

Ms Marten added that while snake bites were rarely fatal, it was “really important” to stay calm, or keep the person who was bitten calm.

“Apply basic first aid, which would be immobilisation and using compression bandages, and contact triple-0,” she said.

“If you are unsure about what first aid measures to take, call triple-0, and they will walk you through what you need to do for the patient.”

Mr Brookes is believed to be the first person to die from a snake bite this year in Australia.

In January, a woman in her 20s was bitten by an eastern brown while she slept on her rural south Queensland property.

Paramedics were called to the Glenmorgan home, about 380 kilometres west of Brisbane, just before 1am.

Two people died from suspected eastern brown snake bites in Australia last year.

Read related topics:Brisbane

Leave a Comment