NICU nurse, 34, suddenly dies on Christmas Eve from ‘seizure’

A nurse who spent 12 years of her career at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital suddenly passed away on Christmas Eve after suffering “some kind of seizure”.

Ashley Denness, 24, was in the Whitsunday Islands and had spend the morning crab catching before she collapsed and died.

She was rushed to hospital, having another seizure on the way, while emergency services tried to revive her for 45 minutes but were unable to do so.

Friends and family quickly set up a GoFundMe to being Ashley’s body home from where she had been holidaying with her partner’s family.

“Ash was a cherished daughter, loving sister and sister-in-law, adored life long partner, fun aunty, trusted friend, an incredible nurse and colleague as well as a loving mum to her fur babies. She embodied everything you ever needed and wanted in a person,” the GoFundMe said.

“She made everything feel so effortless and just like home. Ash was that sparkle in every room. She just had that presence about her. An aura that she gave off. You knew she was the epitome of kindness.”

Ashley was described as someone who could make an enormous difference in people’s lives – even if they had known her just five minutes.

She spent 12 years working in the RPA’s neonatal intensive care unit, before recently joining the Newborn and Paediatric Intensive Care Transport Service.

Her work did not go unnoticed, which many donating money to the GoFundMe and talking about their experience with Ashley.

Another said: “I am deeply saddened by the loss of Ashley. Her energy, warmth and dedication to her work made a lasting impression at NETS, and she will be profoundly missed by us all. My heartfelt condolences to her family and loved ones at this time.”

“Lovely Ash, thank you for helping us get through the scariest time of our lives, being our unexpected journey in the RPA NICU. The world is a poorer place without you in it. Much love and condolences to your family and friends,” one person said.

Leave a Comment