Man sues McDonald’s after allergic reaction to Big Mac burger

An American man has claimed he was almost killed after eating a McDonald’s Big Mac, prompting him to sue the fast food giant.

Charles Olsen, 28, has a severe milk allergy and requested that his food have “NO American cheese” when he made an order through delivery service DoorDash in February 2021, The Sun reports.

However, Mr Olsen claimed he had an anaphylactic reaction to his meal, according to a lawsuit filed on Friday in the New York Supreme Court.

After a few bites of his Big Mac, Mr Olsen claimed he “immediately felt like something wasn’t right”, according to the lawsuit.

“His throat began to itch and swell. He felt a burning sensation throughout his body. He looked at his girlfriend, Alexandra, and coughed, ‘There’s milk in this!’,” the filing reads.

His body was soon covered in hives and he was struggling to breathe.

Mr Olsen’s girlfriend rushed him to the hospital, where he was treated for anaphylaxis.

He nearly needed to be intubated in order to survive, read the lawsuit.

Hours later, Mr Olsen was able to be stabilised by doctors.

Mr Olsen said that he wants to hold restaurants responsible for the ingredients they put in their meals, according to the lawsuit.

There was allegedly no allergy warning or cross-contamination warning when Mr Olsen made his order, the lawsuit read.

“I’ve had to go through my entire life having to tiptoe around menus, dealing with staff that doesn’t know how to handle food allergies, and so on,” he said in a statement via his lawyers.

“Allergies should be such a simple thing to be able to cater to as an establishment. There’s no reason why it can’t be clearly listed, options aren’t included when making an order to indicate allergies, and the staff properly trained to handle such a simple thing.

“There has been progress made thankfully, but it is not enough. No one should have to fear for their health when they’re just trying to eat a meal.”

Mr Olsen’s lawyer, Jory Lange, said his client had made “no-cheese” orders from McDonald’s several times without an issue, and he believed he could trust the restaurant.

“This was a really, really traumatic experience for him,” Mr Lange told the New York Post.

“Just imagine you’re eating a meal and suddenly your throat starts closing up.”

Damages weren’t specified in the lawsuit, however, legal action demands that McDonald’s follow food and allergy policies.

The Sun has reached out to McDonald’s for comment.

This article originally appeared on The Sun and was reproduced with permission

Leave a Comment