Boy, 11, dies after TikTok challenge, mum and grandma claim

A boy has died after a TikTok craze went tragically wrong, his heartbroken family has said.

Tommie-Lee Billington, 11, was found unresponsive at a friend’s house on Saturday after taking part in a dangerous craze called “chroming”.

The youngster was rushed to hospital about midday before being pronounced dead shortly after.

Tommie-Lee’s heartbroken gran Tina Burns said he was killed attempting the “TikTok challenge” that had already killed two teenage girls, The Sun reported.

“He died instantly after a sleepover at a friend’s house. The boys had tried the TikTok craze,” she said.

“Tommie-Lee went into cardiac arrest immediately and died right there and then.

“The hospital did everything to try and bring him back but nothing worked. He was gone.

“He had a heart of gold just like his dad. Our family is utterly devastated.”

Chroming is where someone inhales toxic chemicals such as paint, solvent, aerosol cans, cleaning products or petrol.

Tommie-Lee’s mum Sherri said the trend cost her son’s life – as she begged parents not to let their kids have the social media app.

She posted on Facebook: “This cost my son his life from trying something other kids are doing. Please talk to your children about the consequences of this.

“It is beyond me why anyone would even try this! It’s so dangerous!”

The schoolboy, from Lancaster, was described as the “life and soul of any room”.

His gran also warned other parents about the trend.

“We don’t want any other children to follow TikTok or be on social media,” she said.

“In fact, we want to get TikTok taken down and no children to be allowed on any social media under 16 years of age.

“This is breaking us all but we want to help save other children’s lives and give families awareness to keep their children safe.”

Lancashire Police have launched an investigation and are treating Tommie-Lee’s death as unexplained.

A police force spokesman said: “We were called by the ambulance service at 12:04pm on Saturday, March 2 to an address on Greenset Close, Lancaster, to a report of a sudden death.

“Emergency services attended an address and found an 11-year-old boy unresponsive. Sadly he was later pronounced dead.

“The death is currently being treated as unexplained and the coroner has been informed. A police investigation is ongoing and the boy’s family are being supported by officers.

“Our thoughts are with the boy’s loved ones at this incredibly sad time. If anyone has any information they are asked to contact police.”

TikTok has been approached for comment.

This story originally appeared on The Sun and reproduced with permission

Leave a Comment